It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:18 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 se
I have a '94 SE 3.8L. I was driving in town one day and she died right in the middle of the road. I took it to a local car parts store and hooked it up to their computer. I got the following error code: P0705 "Trans Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction." I learned that this is the neutral safety switch. I believe there are two on this car? One that attaches to the transmission and one on the steering column. I replaced the one that fastens to the transmission, but the car still does not start. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1994 Bonneville SE 240k Hot Rod
The first things I would look for are fuel and spark. Does it crank over "normally", or slowly? Does it even try to start, pop, backfire, anything?

A transmission range sensor or nuetral safety switch should not cause a stall while running.

How many miles on the car/drivetrain? Have you replaced the fuel filter? Did the car die immediately, or stumble/miss, then die? Did it die at idle, or while driving?

More info, please.

Last edited by renchjeep on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1994 se
I can hear the fuel filter upon start-up so I think the pump is fine. It cranks over normally. No popping or backfiring though. I have about 145K on the car and have no replaced the fuel filter in the last 25K. I can't say when/if it was replaced before I bought the car. The car died immediately. I was driving it when it died and it was running just fine and then BAM! It acted as though I just kicked the key off. Also, I washed it earlier in the day (under the hood etc.) at the car wash. I started it at least six times since then, but wondered if I I could have wiggled something loose while washing it that didn't come completely undone until later in the day. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:45 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

I change my fuel filter every 20k--probably overkill, but it's cheap and easy. Check fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Should be 40-50 psi with key on, engine off, for at least a couple of seconds. You will need the proper gauge to test this the "right" way. If you don't have access to the proper gauge, you could turn the key on, then depress the center part of the schrader valve (on the fuel rail) with a suitable tool, maybe a small screwdriver, and you should see a bunch of fuel come out, under pressure! Wear safety glasses, and DO NOT crank the engine while doing this! DO NOT do this with a hot engine! Always have a fire extinguisher handy.

Yeah, I am a bit "backwoods" about my diagnosis, but it usually works out for me without injury.

Let me know what you find.

BTW, you can't hear a fuel filter. You CAN hear a fuel pump. Stick a transmission funnell into the gas inlet to your tank, and listen into the funnell while someone else turns the key to the "ON" position. You should hear at least a couple of seconds of a "whirring" noise if the fuel pump is working.

Feel free to PM me, so we can sort this out the "redneck" way.

No offense to anyone here, but sometimes one doesn't have access to the proper tools needed, and needs to "get-er-done" anyway!

Last edited by renchjeep on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:19 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
Just stand next to the fuel door and have someone turn the key to the run position. If you hear a hum, then the pump is running. Next, check for spark by using an old spark plug in one of the plug wires and laying it on bare metal. While someone turns the car over, watch for an arc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:03 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

I have heard the "hum" of a fuel pump, which means the electric motor of the fuel pump still works. But, if the impeller on the pump is not creating the needed pressure for the fuel rail, no start. Failed impeller, or a bad "pulsator" on some other GM models, like S10 and Astro/Safari vans. Seen that more than a couple of times..........