It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:13 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Well, I went ahead and cemented the pipe (Not paying 25 bucks for a new one). I'm letting it dry over night. I also cemented some holes on the cat.

One thing I noticed is that the muffler has two holes directly in the middle of it. Are they suppose to be there? Do they drain moisture or something? Don't want to cement if their there for a reason.

I will probably put a new coat of cement over the pipe tomorrow; and on Monday I should be done. So I will post back then.

Are there any other check-ups I should perform?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:28 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Can you get pics of said holes? I have never seen a hole in the body of a muffler unless it's rusted out, lol.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

00Beast wrote:
Can you get pics of said holes? I have never seen a hole in the body of a muffler unless it's rusted out, lol.

Yeah, I think their just rust holes. Not very big and not rusted through fully, so I will cement them tomorrow.
(sorry, no pics)

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

If your muffler is rusted through, it's probably shot on the inside too. Might want to start saving up for a new one.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:22 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Okay. I can finally post that this topic is SOLVED!

Lets recap:

-Replaced LIM gasket.
-Replaced UIM and UIM gasket.

-Once put together; rough idle, hissing sound, Check Engine Light.
-Triple checked UIM and Throttle Body.

PROBLEM>>>> EGR flex pipe from LIM cracked.

FIX>>>> Cemented EGR flex pipe. Also cemented catalytic converter holes.

Started up next day and idles smoother then the day I bought her!

Thank you to everyone who helped and god bless this forum! :)

Last edited by MeLLoCeLLo on Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

00Beast wrote:
If your muffler is rusted through, it's probably shot on the inside too. Might want to start saving up for a new one.

Oh jeez, don't want to think about that right now. Just got my baby running normal again. If i have to though, I would probably go with a dual outlet. But lets save that for later.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Hello again, I cant believe its been a year since the last post here. I was searching for advice on a new muffler and stumbled over this old thread.

The last thing mentioned here was about my muffler having a hole (possible drain). Well its definitely rusted through because it rattle fairly loud at idle, in gear. Thought it could have been the heat shield but now notice both ends of the muffler are separating and heat shield is not touching anywhere.

Now I mentioned that if I had to change it, I might as well go for a dual outlet, but honestly, I would rather go with a more quiet setup (dual or single output).

Are there any suggestions about companies or universal setups that I could go with? Is it possible to replace it myself to save a little cash?

Thanks for any advice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:51 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

If you wanted a dual outlet setup you could get a factory muffler for an SSEi and have an exhaust shop make some tips or get some nice aftermarket tips and have the shop make the necessary connecting pipes.

Honestly, after seeing how quickly the guy installed my DP and cat a few weeks ago and with such precision I'd just take it to an exhaust shop. They can bend and fit all the pipes and thoroughly weld it as well as attach it with factory style hangars so it lasts a good long time. Shouldn't be too expensive to have them do a dual outlet muffler with two tips out the back. $90 for a muffler, $80 for the labor and parts and whatever you want to pay for the tips, so around $225, depending if you can shop around and get a good deal.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I guess $225 doesn't sound too bad, but I just had my buddy from napa price a center inlet and dual offset outlet muffler for 67 bucks!

I work at an airport maintenance shop, so I plan on installing it myself with some help. I'm going to set it up with an adapter and clamps for inlet and get a universal mount for the other side. The outlet elbows for muffler are going to be universal also since the price for supercharged muffler elbows are $90! (wtf)

I have an SE, so no outlets on bumper to make it look pretty. I might just shoot the exhaust down and out...will see what I can come up with.

I'm estimating everthing will cost around 100 bucks (hopefully).

Any other insight's?