It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gas tank
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SE
Are there clips holding the anchor bolts to the frame? I wanna know so I can just go to the dealer before I even start.

Post subject: Re: gas tank
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:43 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Yep, the bolts are bolting into clips.

Also, get the gas tank O-ring at the dealer. The aftermarket ones are cheesy and nowhere near as beefy as the dealer part.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Definately a good idea to get the two captured nuts (nut clips, whatever you call them). And give the originals a real good shot of penetrating oil well before hand. And don't be afraid to drop the exhaust to give you more room.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:22 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
Dropping the exhaust from the muffler end is a must-do to remove the tank. Also, get the rear of the car up as high as you can. It will only make the task easier.

You'll need to have something to jack the tank down. It's much heavier than it seems, and you won't be able to get all the fuel out of it. I used my little jack and a piece of plywood to jack the tank up and down. Find/make a scrap that fits in between the straps to hold the tank in place while you attach the straps.

Also, having a big, strong friend or two around for muscle really helps.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:32 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: Black 2001 Bonneville SSEi
Ditto.

All good advice.

I dropped the tank on my friends Aerostar and the larger ground clearance and jacking high gave me enough room to move around and get it out. I was able to hold that tank in place with my knees and other arm to install. I think though that with the exhaust bind and all it will make my Bonneville harder than the Aerostar.

ImageImage
Burnt Bonny.

Note if you pull the injectors to obserbe fuel delivery...make sure you leave the plugs in and disconnect the ign. Believe me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:32 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 1997 SE Anniversary Edition
LeSabre in Buffalo wrote:
Also, get the gas tank O-ring at the dealer. The aftermarket ones are cheesy and nowhere near as beefy as the dealer part.

Additionally, the factory part has three fingers that drop into the tank to prevent it from rotating when you tighten the bayonet lock for the tank. Use a light coat of vaseline on the bottom surface of the fuel pump/gauge mount so it slides easily.

Plan on an additional hour for the job if you try to use the plain ol' O-ring that comes with the kit. Then give up and use the old factory gasket if you didn't bother to buy a new one. :)

Also, when the tank is back in, put some gas in and take off the fuel return line at the filter. Put a rag underneath it and turn the key off and on a few times. DO NOT crank the car. Now, go back and wipe up the small amount of gas that spilled onto your driveway and reconnect the line.

This will flush the air out of the fuel line and it will start right up. If you don't do this, you'll be grinding the starter quite a few times and begin to wonder if you remembered to connect all the electricals.