It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1995 SSEi ABS Issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:57 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1995 Black and Gold SSEI with 87,000 actual miles
Hi folks:
Got a 95 SSEi w/ 90K miles on her. This has happened twice. I can go into extensive detail, and will be glad to if someone can steer me in the right direction.
I always run Traction Control, Performance Shift, and Performance Ride.
On 2 different occasions, I have started her up, everything is as it should be, drive 2-5 miles (I'm on a limited income), and come back out of the pharmacy or grocery store, fire her up again, and my ABS and Traction Off lights come on, and I get about 1/2" of hard pedal. I did have a rear brake job done (watched him, good work and good parts) about 2 weeks ago. Had a soft pedal, so I took her back for a rebleed. On the way down there, I stopped at a parmacy to get some refills, came out and everything went south. Extremely hard pedal, moaning from under the hood. Got back to the shop, and the tech said he had never seen that before. He proceeded to pull the air box and un-plug the 2-row Packard/Delphi connector (snapping off the locking arm in the process) leading to the ABS pump, and of course it quit.
While he was making a few calls, I reached down and looked at the connector itself and the contacts were all seated properly and no signs of corrosion visible.
I plugged the pump back in-no sound. He did a rebleed, lots of air in the rears, (still got more travel than I want), front pads are really good, but ceramic soon, I hope. And when I do go ceramic, are drilled/slotted rotors worth the money? That's another issue altoghter.
What in the name of Richard Pryor is going on?
Sorry to be so long.
I'm still a Newbie-got some nice photos of my baby I want to post.
Thanks so much for any and all input-if'f I'm stupid, that's no problem. any and all input will be read, digested, and greatly appreciated. My cat and my car are all I have, and I'm tired of losing sleep and weight over this "ghost".
Y'all got some really nice rides out there. Keep it up.
And GM ditches Pontiac? Don't get me started!
Happy Thanksgiving to all. As bad as it is, it can always be worse, speaking from a Cancer survivor.

Post subject: Re: 1995 SSEi ABS Issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:11 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Sounds like your ABS pump is goofy.

As far as drilled rotors, don't get them. Slots are good, but drilled rotors can crack around the holes. I highly recommend ceramic pads. I know Auto Value has some slotted rotors that are pretty good. olblueeyesbonne and Archon both have them, IIRC.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Cheap drilled rotors tend to crack. Rotors where the hole is cast in tend to last longer. I've got powerslot slotted rotors and like them.

So after plugging the ABS back in, the only problem is pedal travel?

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:44 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Yes, everything returned to normal except for, in my opinion, excessive pedal travel. I have no bleed-down at a stop light, so I don't think that the master cylinder has a problem. The tech didn't have the equipment to pull the codes on a 1995, so he disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to clear them. I guess the next time it happens, I'll go straight to the dealership. This is my first GM, first car with ABS, so I am lost!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
If it is the pump going, which it sounds like it is (I could be wrong though), you should be able to unplug it when it does it again. If it were to do something wierd, you could lose braking at the wrong time.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

Last edited by J Wikoff on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:55 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I agree, to a certain point. I have years of experience in Commercial, Industrial, and Military electronics, and this shows all the classic signs of a relay "sticking". But I don't know in this case. Do you agree with the scenario of waiting for it to happen again, and going straight to the dealer to pull the codes?
BTW-Thanks so very much for trying to help me. I'm on a fixed income, and I feel welcome to this site, and for all the responses I have gotten from you and your Members.
Thanks Guys!
If anyone thinks of anything else, pleases let me know.
Could this be a symptom of a bad power brake booster failure?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

2009 G8 GT
I think it should store codes so you could get it scanned before it happens again. But I'm not positive though. I typically wait till something repeats itself to diagnose, but that's just me procrastinating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:03 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
You will need to wait for the EBTCM to set a code and then have it pulled.. You may have an issue with a wheel speed sensor or possibly an inlet / outlet pressure sensor.. any of these can piss off the EBTCM...

Thats the best advice I have to offer at the moment.. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:21 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

My sentiments exactly. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Haven't thought about the wheel speed sensors, or I/O pressure, because I didn't realize the impact on ABS. Think I'll take her by the Dealership (got a buddy down there, but I can't get in touch with him because he works all the time), and be willing to pay 1/2 hour labor to pull the codes.
Really want to get her right. She's the last car I'll own (unless I go Ferrari Heaven), and I love the car. I went from a 1989 Ford Probe LX with 190K miles, no air bad CV joints and a leaking head gasket to my 1995 SSEi with 90k miles. Had her 3 years, and she's still smarter than I am. Still trying to get photos posted.
Thanks again for the help, ideas and support you guys give out.
This is 1 club I like!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:38 pm 

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
No problem... Happy to help where we can..

I bought My first Bonneville about 12 years ago... I had the intent to keep it for one year... I still have that very car.. Florida Sun Faded... I still love driving that car... I bought a 91 as a 2nd car... Later a 95 Transport came my way... Then I bought an 03 SLE Bonneville..

At our forum meets we have had everything from Chevy trucks to Buicks... Never know what will show up... we have even had fords... I think every meet is not complete unless there is a Ford someplace...lol

Glad to have you here, and do post a few Pics :wink:

If you get the car scanned, let us know what the Codes were.. Its always interesting to know the cause of a problem.. :wink:

Last edited by Jrs3800 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:33 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Again, guys, thanks so much for the input and direction. I took her out today , and she was the perfect Lady. Scary. Even though the front pads are really good, I'm thinking about going ahead with the slotted rotors and ceramic pads at either the Dealership or a different brake shop, and see what happens. My local dealer lets me buy my own parts, and they do the job and guarantee the labor. Hey, I take 5-1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter down there for an oil change; they do everything, change oil and filter, check and top off ALL fluids, and charge me $10.40. Hell, I can't jack the car up and get all the stuff out and change and dispose of the used oil for $10.40 in time alone!
I still love her, but I do want a Saleen or Roush before I die! Just one of my Genie Bottle wishes! No diss on the Bonnie; just always been a Ford guy-until I get in the Bonnie. The Bonnie is a sleeper; most people don't know what the car is, where if you're driving something that says Saleen or Roush on it, nobody wants to play.
If I don't hear anything back from anyone before Thanksgiving, I wish you all a very happy, memorable, blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks again. You guys are great. I need all the friends I can get!