All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 1994 SSEi
White w/ grey int
Stock
Hey All,

Found that the puddle of green under my Bonneville is coming out the driver side tank of the radiator. Can see a couple of cracks that the coolant just pours out of, on the front side.

A quick stop at the O'Reilly Auto web site tells me that this is a single-row radiator? Is that correct most likely? (94 SSEi). They ask if I have the engine oil cooler or not. How can I tell which application I have?

Thinking maybe I'll wait to order until I can pull the bad one out, but that means extra time with the car down. Got burned once before when replacing my truck's radiator, there were 2 sizes, and of course I got the wrong one first trip from the parts store.

Anything special I should watch out for? Some of you must have done this fix before, I'd love to have you share your experience/knowledge.
Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:45 pm 
Site Owner/Webmaster
Site Owner/Webmaster

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
'01 Sierra C3
Well, first off I have a radiator from my 95 that wasn't used much before I took the car apart. Might be a cheap option for you if money is an issue ;)

I believe that you have an oil and tranny cooler in that area. I don't recall if they are all in one unit or not. The radiator I have has the correct fittings, except the coolant lever sensor wasn't quite right. The one I ordered listed as a direct replacement for the OEM but was slightly different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:21 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 1995 SSei
1987 GN 16K Original
I just replaced mine in my 95. Ill post some pics and pointers out for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:05 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 1996 SSEi, Bright White, Medium Teal, 197k
Many of the aftermarket radiators are one-size-fits-all applications. We just replaced the radiator in my buddies nissan sentra, for example, and it had the tranny cooler in it even though it's a manual car. There was no option. My guess is that you do have the oil cooler, and they all have tranny coolers, one cooler on each side. Just look and see if you have hard lines coming out of both tanks, if you do than you have the oil cooler. Single row sounds right, most of the factory radiators are. Someone might know where to get a double row, however. It's cheap insurance for your cooling system for a few extra bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

White w/ grey int
Stock
Thanks for the responses everyone.

SSEI95, I may indeed be interested if you're looking to get rid of that used radiator. I'll have to see what I can find from o"Reilly's or Red Rooster first. But I believe you are really close to where I live. I'm just south of Steve-O's, almost in your same neighborhood, LOL!!

Tripscarcare95, I'll be interested in ANY pictures and/or tips you may be able to share. I'll keep watch for that.

Alec_b, thanks for sharing your experience. I would be a little disappointed if I ended up with a one-size-fits-all type radiator in this application. Hoping that, since the system asks the question, that there will indeed be all of the connection points I need. I am a little surprised that it is only a single-row.

There used to be a really good radiator shop I obtained parts thru years ago, I might see if they are still around, and what they might be able to offer as options, too.

I think I might try and get a start on the disassembly process this week. I feel fortunate that I have another backup vehicle, but it seems that I've been spending a LOT of time lately with wrenches in hand, fixing things.

I appreciate your replies!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:29 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
The radiator replacement is cake. Infact, it is harder to get the stupid cooler lines off and back on than pulling the radiator. You simply pull the bolts off the top shroud, and it comes off, and unbolt the fans <I left my bottom bolts in at risk of breakage>. Radiator slides out. New one drops in. It is very easy.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

White w/ grey int
Stock
It does appear that it will be easy to get the old radiator out of there. Took off the top shroud/retainer, and undid the 4 top bolts of the fans, and it looks like it will come once I disconnect all of the hoses/lines.

Is there a drain down there at the bottom, like many other radiators? I can't tell for certain from above, and haven't had a chance to raise the front of the car yet. KInd of wanted to keep it down for draining purposes.

I'm hoping I can get at all of the connection points from top-side?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:28 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

White w/ grey int
Stock
OK, that task wasn't really bad at all. Spent most of my time trying (futile as it was) to clean up the area of the years of dirt and fluids that have leaked previously. Spent an entire afternoon with the steam cleaner, and a couple spray bottles of degreaser. While I did make strides in cleaning it, there's still plenty of mess under there. I think the worst part of this job was the fact that I spilled not only the antifreeze, but also ATF and oil from both of those connection points, all over my garage floor.

I was able to get a new radiator locally for just under $150. All connection points were fine, required no persuading to get it to fit up correctly. The unit I got was boxed as a RADPRO, I'm guessing that must have been the manufacturer. I will have to check on the part number, I don't recall that offhand. As I said, connections and dimensionally, it was an exact match. The ONLY difference, which I noticed later, was that the drain cap on the replacement does not drain 'down' like the OE one did. The OE one allowed the contents of the radiator to drain right thru the corresponding hole in the radiator support, very neatly. Not sure if I could have snagged some small part from the OE one and fit that up towork with this replacement or not, as I exchanged the old core at the time of purchase. Looks as if this new one is going to drain towards the rear of the car, which will probably be a little bit more of a mess, when that time comes.

I did remove both fans from their respective mounts. I just moved the smaller one aside (on top of the engine, since there was enough length of wiring to allow it that far out of my way) after freeing the wiring to it from the clips. I actually disconnected the larger one completely and set it aside.

Had to wrestle the radiator a little bit around the transmission cooler lines, that sensor plug was big enough that it had to be wiggled just right to fit past them. Oh, be sure to grab the coolant sensor from your old radiator before exchanging. The wires will unplug, and then you must GENTLY pry the sensor from the radiator tank. I could see how that might accidentally get overlooked. I saw it as I was grabbing the core from my car, to take into the store. Not too late, at least.

With the fans out of the way, the radiator just dropped in nicely once I found the proper angle of attack. Before I put the fans back, I made all of the connections, the lower hose followed by the transmission cooler lines, sensor plug, oil cooler lines, and upper hose. All of that was able to be done from topside. I exchanged the clamps for the screw-style band clamps. I like those better for disconnecting, and have never really experienced where the stock spring-style have proved themselves to be better. not only than, but even my largest set of pliers couldn't really grab the spring-type very well, so the screw-style were just easier.

Reinstalled the smaller fan, and tucked the wiring harness back into it's clips at the radiator support. Then dropped the larger fan into place and connected the wiring to it.

Final step was to reinstall the radiator cover/shroud, along with the top fan mount bolts that go into it. Refilled the radiator and started the car to let it come up to temp and start to circulate the coolant. Verified that there were no leaks at any of the connection points, and that was it.

Now a little venting. Not sure why GM designed that radiator support as a channel, which catches a LOT of road debris over the years. Seems very prone to rusting with the sand, leaves, and moisture that can accumulate in that channel underneath the radiator. Mine was showing a fair amount of rust. I tried to clean it up some, but it didn't seem like a real good use of my effort, seeing how it will just catch more debris when the car is driven.

My only other little gripe is the brackets that hold all of the piping to the radiator, for the ATF and oil. I couldn't get those loosened, and the rigid piping created a little headache trying to work around it. If one could get those brackets at least unbolted from the support crossmember it might make this task just a bit easier.

Well, I should probably mention the $40+ upper radiator hose here too. Not that it's difficult by any means. But the cost is just silly, for what it is. Lower was a little more than half that price.