It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:36 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1988 LE V6 3.8L Vin C
So I've had this Bonneville for a little over 2 years now. Got it for $500 with 90k original miles on it, I've had to replace the TPS, cam sensor, o2 sensor, starter, water pump, new set of tires, fuel filter, fuel pump, IAC valve and the ICM. Luckily I work at a parts store and am mechanically incline, all together I've spent less than $500 in repairs for the car since I got it. The ICM (magnavox) was replaced before I bought the car and has a lifetime warranty, so that was free.

It's been a great car and I'm tempted to keep it, but I'm not sure if it's worth keeping. I need to replace all the shocks, I need to replace both front Hub assemblies, I have a coolant leak that seems internal, and I'm probably going to need to replace the catalytic converter for smog. For the shocks, hubs and cat alone I'm looking at $450 for parts.

I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of how to check out my coolant leak. I've read it's common for the intake to leak or for an elbow to start leaking in the manifold, but I'm not sure if that applies to the pre series 3800. The oil and coolant haven't been contaminated and there isn't ever any coolant dripping on the ground, but I need to top off the coolant reservoir once a week. There's also water dripping out of the tailpipe once in a while, even after the car has been warmed up.

I was also hoping someone could tell me what I'd be looking at in labor to have the cat replaced/if I'd be able to do it myself without having to remove the engine or something big like that.

What do all you Bonneville enthusiasts think? Should I stay or should I leave her?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
90K is very low mileage for a from 1988.
Realistically, what else could you drive for $500?
All used cars need some type of repair.
Intake leaks are not common for this generation of Bonneville nor does it have the crappy plastic hose connectors that crack over time.

Read the post by myfirstbonnie in this thread for typical slow leak spots post309709.html?hilit=intake#p309709

A cooling system pressure tester is the absolute best way to find a coolant leak.
It's what repair shops use to find them.
You can borrow one from some parts stores (Autozone, etc.) or buy your own (Rockauto--good prices forum discount on orders--look in Pontiac Bonneville Club Vendor's forum post for code).
http://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/coolin ... ng+kit,249
The Stant and the Gates kits appear to be identical.
Your cost from Rockauto could be less than $450 including the cooling system pressure tester.