It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1991 le
My temperature gauge starting shooting straight up to the highest point with the key at the "on" position and when running. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor, no change. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor again, no change. I replaced the coolant sending unit, change. The gauge no longer shoots straight up. It does; however, go quickly to a quarter up when the key is in the "on" position and when I start the car, it slowly climbs all the way to overheating withing about a minute or so. I've also replaced the harness and traced the wires for shorts or bad connections. Couldn't find anything. I'm wondering if the gauge didn't go out of whack from quickly shooting all the way up over and over again before I replaced the sending unit?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
hi, maybe something with the dash servo that controls the gauge? when you start the car, do you remember the gauge sweep from zero to max and back again?

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Does a 91 have two coolant temp sensors like 92-95 does? One for the pcm and one for the gauge.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:10 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 1993 Buick Park Avenue
1994 Buick Regal Custom
96 SSEi wrote:
hi, maybe something with the dash servo that controls the gauge? when you start the car, do you remember the gauge sweep from zero to max and back again?

'91 does not gauge sweep.

I do know that there are two coolant temp signals going on, one for the gauge, one for the PCM, but I can't remember if it's two sensors, or 2 feeds off of the same sender.

1993 Buick Park Avenue - 197k - Some odds and ends done - Simply won't die
1994 Buick Regal - 78k - Bone stock - Always ready for a good kicking
1990 Oldsmobile 88 - Gone to a better place

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:42 pm 
LE Member

The gauge slowly climbs all the way up and stays there. It doesn't come back down til I shut off the engine. There's a coolant temperature sensor and a coolant temperature sending unit. It never did that before. It would stay at 0 and slowly climb as the engine warmed up and then stop. Another thing that it has done the last two times I test drove it... it starts fine, idles a little high, drives ok for about five minutes, and then I can't seem to go past second gear. Like it's in a limp mode or something. It's never done this before. It kind of makes me think that there's more going on than a bad temperature gauge in the cluster. I wouldn't think that a bad cluster gauge would influence the car to go into a limp mode, if that is indeed what's happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:30 am 
LE Member

*dang*. I traced the wires and just don't know. If I disconnect the sending unit, it just doesn't register anything. If I disconnect the coolant temperature sensor, nothing really changes. I wonder if that means it's the coolant sensor.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:45 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

1994 Buick Regal Custom
If it is in your long term plans to do diagnostics and troubleshooting on this car, and you are willing to learn many things about it, it may be a good move to get a scanner that can read live data. That takes much of the guesswork out of many things.

In this case, it could tell you what the actual coolant temperature is according to the pcm, and help you track down which sender is doing what, and help rule out what the problem is.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:47 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 99 Bonneville
RJolly87 wrote:
If it is in your long term plans to do diagnostics and troubleshooting on this car, and you are willing to learn many things about it, it may be a good move to get a scanner that can read live data. That takes much of the guesswork out of many things.

In this case, it could tell you what the actual coolant temperature is according to the pcm, and help you track down which sender is doing what, and help rule out what the problem is.

limited scan apps for this yr. For OBD II you can buy an app for you phone.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:06 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

1994 Buick Regal Custom
SSEBonne4evr wrote:
RJolly87 wrote:

limited scan apps for this yr. For OBD II you can buy an app for you phone.

Or a bluetooth solution is possible too, however not nearly as popular as the OBD II options.

I have an actron CP9145 myself, and it works great with OBD 1 and OBD 1.5. It will still read some live data on OBD2, as well as codes, but the information seems very limited compared to OBD 1 and 1.5.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
There is a single wire sensor for the dash that lives above the exhaust manifold crossover and below the throttle body.. Is this the one you replaced?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:32 pm 
LE Member

I did replace that single wire sensor (coolant temperature sender) as well as the coolant temperature sensor. I took the coolant temperature sensor and swapped it out for another one as it was still under warranty. All fix. New coolant temperature sensor was faulty. Duralast.