It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:40 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1989 Oldsmobile 88 Royale Brougham Regency - FE3
rustyroger wrote:
You will need to wind back the self adjusters anyway, and when the new shoes are on adjust them by hand (a medium size screwdriver is all you need) until they allow the drum to slip back on with a small amount of clearance. I adjust the brake until the drum is tight to go on then back it off a bit until the drums fits on easily.
Roger.

When you mention winding back the self adjusters, your referring to the parking/e-brake adjusters, correct? Do you make them wider and then they self adjust?

I installed a new cable and am trying to adjust it - right side is working but left is not tight enough and I see if I use a screwdriver to turn the teeth I can make the brake tighter. Also, do I put the small metal lever back on the teeth or leave it down so it will self adjust when applied into that position?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:55 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1998 Buick Park Avenue
No. I'm talking about the service brake self adjusters inside the drums.
Often, especially after long periods of neglect they freeze up. I take them off and work copper based grease into the threads.

Make sure the e-brake lever is fully back inside the drum. If it isn't slacken off the e-brake cable until it is.
Then adjust the service brake until the brake is sticking on, then back it off until it is free again. You will need to move the metal tab away from the teeth to back it off. Make sure it is contacting the teeth again when you are done so the self adjusting mechanism will operate.
You now have a correctly adjusted service brake, you won't get the e-brake right unless you do this first.

You may have one or two adjustments available on the e-brake cables, one on the right rear cable and/or one on the primary cable under the drivers seat. Make sure the primary cable has plenty of slack, then adjust the right rear cable (if it has an adjuster) until the equaliser is mid positioned. Then adjust the primary cable so the brake isn't on until the pedal is pushed, then after a firm push the e-brake should be solidly applied, try turning the wheels with a lug nut wrench, you shouldn't be able to budge it.

Let us know how you get on.

Roger.