It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 3800 SSE
Black ext, gray leather int, sunroof
Hello out there in Bonneville land. I need to remove my steering wheel in order to change my ignition cylinder. I can't seem to find info on my specific steering wheel, I've been using a Haynes manual and the web. Steering wheel characteristics: no airbag, secondary control panel in center (radio, cruise control, etc), leather wrapped, no visible screws or fasteners on back or front. I found very detailed instructions for a variety of steering wheels except mine. I think maybe there are screws behind the secondary control. Can I just pry it off, is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any answers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1989 Bonneville SE
I've got an '89 SE with the same type of steering wheel you just described and I needed to replace my wiper switch (which required removal of the ignition cylinder) about three months ago.

Here's some info:

1. The keypad easily pries off as one piece with a screwdriver.
2. The connection for the wheel controls is actually plugged into the plastic horn ring. So you have to be VERY VERY careful when working around it. The horn ring itself has no wires coming off it, just an outlet.
3. Compared to a car without steering wheel controls, the piece of plastic between the wheel and the locking plate uses less material and is also attached much more forcefully. Luckily I got mine off without splitting it in half.
4. Compared to a car without wheel controls, the locking plate uses less material (has a big hole in it for the connector). So you need to take extra care not to bend it.
5. My turn signal switch was slightly different than others I've seen. It also had a few extra wires coming off the back (I'm guessing these are for the wheel controls), which made pulling the wiper switch wires up through the column more difficult.
6. You'll have some extra wiring down by the pedals compared to a lower-trim car. A lot of my extra wires were ziptied to the wiring for the wiper or turn signal switch.

This is a great thread, although it doesn't cover wheel control issues:
suspension-steering/topic6944.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 3800 SSE
Black ext, gray leather int, sunroof
Thanks for the push in the right direction ajla, all went well except for the ignition buzzer switch. I must have damaged the buzzer switch retaining clip when I removed it in order to get to the ignition cylinder locking bolt. When I put the buzzer switch back in it blocked the full rotation of the ignition cylinder. In the end I left the buzzer switch out, so now I have to remember not to lock my keys in the car all by my lonesome. Also, I didn't have to disconnect the wires under the dash. I had enough slack in the wires to get where I needed to go.