It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1989 Pontiac Bonneville SE
I have an issue with my 89 SE. It sat for awhile before I got to it, When I first started messing with the car the right back door wouldn't open. Then I started playing with the auto locks to free them cause they are sticking a little. Now both back doors wont open inside or out. the lock switches seem stuck a little and the doors are going nowhere. Help!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:02 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: '99 Montana
'04 Dirtymax
'97 Camaro
'92 Trofeo
The door latch is likely rusting, causing the lock to stick.

Unfortunately, this requires you to remove the door panel. When I did this on the Buick it was very difficult, with the door being stuck shut. Once you do get the panel off, I recommend removing the latches so you can properly clean then and re-grease them with white grease or any other heavy thick grease. It would also be a good idea to use white grease on all the mechanisms for the handle and lock, and grease up the window tracks.

If there is a hole in the door from rust or something that caused the latches to stick, you will want to repair it otherwise the doors will eventually stick again.

The Fleet:
'93 SSEi - Twincharged + manual Build thread
'97 Camaro - Top swap
'05 STS - V8, AWD, her DD
'92 Trofeo - Fair weather DD
'99 Montana - top swap 3800
'04 Sierra 2500HD - LLY Duramax

Current project:
Something cool, trust me.

Upcoming projects:
'92 Bonneville SSE
'87 LeSabre T-type
'67 LeSabre

Gone to greener pastures:
'84 Sierra Classic - Twin turbo 3800
'97 LeSabre - Top swap

RIP:
'86 LeSabre - pictures
'93 SE - L67

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 2002 SE
Had this problem on my first Bonneville which was also an '89 SE. My issue was the outside door handle itself, when you push the button in to open the door it has a pivot point on the handle inside which in turn pushes a rod to open the latch. What happened with mine is that the pivot point over time corroded up and would stick like you were constantly pushing the button in and never letting go. The door would latch to shut but then would not open back up as the latch was closed but the rod from the outside handle to unlatch it was already passed the position to work so nothing would happen from inside or outside, locked or unlocked.

I did find though that if I hit the door with the soft part of my fist or anything soft enough to not damage the paint yet heavy enough to vibrate the panel good, after a few times the pivot would work itself back to the place it was supposed to be then I could open the door. You could feel it in the push button on the handle, it would push in a little then hit a spot that was a little harder when it was hitting the pivot arm. If the pivot arm was not out far enough then the door still wouldn't open and I would have to try again.... quite frustrating really. I removed both rear door handles a couple times and worked the seized up pivots and lubed them, but they really just needed taken apart and wire brushed to remove corrosion, at the time though I didn't have the ability or knowledge to do so.

2002 Bonneville SE - The Mutt Complete 2004 SLE interior, drivetrain, and body harness swap, ECC swap, HUD swap, black GXP wheels, GXP headlights and tinted tails - SOLD
2003 BMW 540i M Sport, 2001 BMW X5 4.4i, 2010 GMC Acadia, 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH
1982 Cutlass Supreme - The fun one

MattStrike wrote:
It was the worst week of my life! *pause, drinks beer... smiles* But I'm better now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:41 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 99 Bonneville
Spray WD 40 in the latch above the door button and let soak overnight.