It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1988 LeSabre T-type
Last weekend my '90 LeSabre code C 3800 started having surging issues.
SES light comes on and I got a Code 34, (along with 12).
I tried cleaning the MAF filiments, even though they didn't really look dirty. Had the battery disconnected for an hour to clear the codes.
Cleaned the forward half of the TB with carb cleaner. Plugged the first passage to the IAC, since I don't now if it would be harmed by the spray.

After everything back together, I drove the car 2 miles, turned around, then the engine 'bucked' once & SES light came on. Got back to shop and the engine stalled when I went to back into parking space. I figure either the cleaning didn't help or the MAF is just bad.
Since I can scarcely afford a re-man MAF, I thought I would try taking the TB off and cleaning it really thorough.
I got everything disconnected and discovered the the steel tube at the bottom of the TB contains coolant. And I could not figure out how to remove the other end of the pipe, or free the TB to pull it off.
Gave up and decided to try spraying carb cleaner into the TB with the engine running.
I didn't have much success because it's hard to open the throttle enough to spray back behind it. Seems like it is going to over rev if I try to hold it wide open.

Will it harm the IAC sensor to let carb spray run down into those passages?
If I take the the sensor out, will it let something fall out of place that will not allow it to go back in.

I appreciate any and all input.

Tom

Engine has roughly 200K miles. In good shape, and has been running great up until now.

Last edited by Thin Indian on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Your MAF may be toast.. Usually when you have a code 34 the MAF is history.. See if you can find one at a Junk Years for cheap.. Just make sure its the same calibration as the one you have( look at the numbers on top of the sensor, match them )

Never use Carb cleaner... Always use Throttle body and intake cleaner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1988 LeSabre T-type
I was thinking of trying to find one at the salvage yard. Seems like a percentage of them would still be good. Thanks for the tip about the calibration codes.

I put it all back together and decided to give it a longer road test. Code 34 was back in the ECM before I fired it up. Then when I started it, the SES came on right off the bat.
I drove it a ways at 30-35. It only 'bucked' once, lightly. Then I took it out on a four-lane. Got it up to 55. Seemed to do well. Then back to a side road. It 'bucked' once again, but just slightly. Not like it was doing before I first cleaned the MAF.
I think I will drive it a few days to see if the ECM re-calibrates itself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:53 pm 

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Disconnect the negative side of the battery for 1 minute... Reconnect.... Check the codes( do not start the engine ) there should be no codes present... If there are any codes at all come back to us..